This week I read two very different books.
The first was Stargirl by Jerri Spinelli.
It was a quick, light read. I recommend it for teens, and those seeking cute fun entertainment. I dare someone to read it and not love the main girl and her adorable compassion. She was a great role model for anyone, and had such love for those around her. She really was unique. I loved how honest the narrator was with his own feelings. He was a teenage boy trapped between worshipping her goodness, and caring about his own insecurities. It takes you back to your years of stretching and discovering yourself.
The second was The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton.
It won the Pulitizer prize in 1921. I had seen the movie back in high school, but had never read the book. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It takes you into a world that is so unlike what we know now. It takes place in the wealthy circles of New York City just before the turn of the Century. Everything was done exactly in order with what was proper. Society was very polite, but the underbelly was fierce and hostile. I usually don't like stories where adultery is any part of it, but this one was fascinating to me because of the edges of the story. After reading it, I watched the movie again on Netflix. I have never seen a movie done so exactly like the book it copied! It is EXACTLY like the book. In fact, the dialogue is word for word. The director really paid attention to the details. I loved the description of certain things like the pearl binoculars Madame Ollenska uses at the Opera, or the gold cigarette case she wears around her bracelet, or that the gentlemen always wore a flower in their pocket (usually gardenias), etc. I just loved the beauty and detail of this book. Also, this book does make you think about what we choose in our life and how it ends up because of it. Archer, the main man, ends up being faithful to his wife and family and never goes after the woman he wants most, and I believe his life was richer because of it. Although there is a sense of loss and regret at the end of the book, I left it feeling peaceful and full. I loved it from cover to cover. And I highly recommend the movie since it is so true to the novel.
No comments:
Post a Comment