August 24, 2008

Zucchini anyone?



I have zucchini coming out of my ears. Who knew that two plants could produce enough for an army? I have frozen some, made loaf after loaf of zucchini bread, Jake has made fried zucchini several times, I have put it in soups, eatin it raw with dip, etc. etc. I just found a new recipe I will try this week:

Salad
2 raw zucchini - sliced in quarters and cut into cubes1 whole avocado - cut into cubes from the skin2 tablespoons sunflower seedsDressing (you gotta just play with it until it's to your liking)Mix in a bowl-Juice from 1 or less lemon2 tablespoons olive oil1 garlic clove minced and smashed with a fork in the olive oil to get out the flavorSalt (add to your liking)Pepper (add to your liking)Red Pepper Flakes (just a few flakes for a bit of a kick!)
Mix all together - - so easy and delicious! Read about why summer squash, like zucchini, is so good for you!
I have to say, however, that I love having a vegetable garden! There is nothing better than going out and picking your own vegetables. Some day I will have more room than my two little planter boxes. But until then I will enjoy my peas, tomatoes and zucchini. My favorite is eating warm tomatoes right off the vine. I remember one year at USU in my Physiology class we had to test our own urine for different things. One thing we checked for were little crystals that were a result of eating vegetables, especially tomatoes. Well, that summer I had eaten so many tomatoes out of my Mom's garden it was ridiculous. I was the "sample" for the class to look at. Funny memory.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey if you have more than you can handle, we'd gladly take some off your hands. We're a squash lovin' family! And I could probably trade you for some carrots if you're interested. We have more of those than we can eat. Also, I'd love to take you up on the offer of a joggin buddy if you're still interested. Let me know!

erica e said...

hey, i haven't tried this yet but its on my list of new recipes to try soon. looks pretty good. http://www.parents.com/recipe/beef/cheeseburger-zucchini-pie/